Friday, August 26, 2011

Making Magical Memories



This past week I've been doing my training for Park Greeter/Parade Audience Control (PAC) at Magic Kingdom Park. During this time I've had hundreds of interactions with guests and I can truly feel in my heart that it is the cast--the entire cast--of this great organization that is responsible for making magical memories.





My first day of PAC training, we were instructed to interact with at least one guest. This is actually much easier than it may seem. Disney has recently been making Celebration buttons for everything from Birthdays to Anniversaries, to Engagements and Graduations. When a guest has one on, it's easy to strike up a conversation.

When I went to interact a family, I tried to stay away from those buttons. I wanted a challenge--and that's when I spotted this quiet family sitting on a curb in front of City Hall on Main Street USA.

I spoke to the family as a whole, asking them if they were having a fun day (they were), how long they were staying (it was their last day), when I noticed that the little boy was sitting with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands with no smile on his face. I got down on my knees to look the little guy in the eyes and asked "Are you excited for the parade?"

"No." He replied, short and sweet.

"Who's your favorite character?" Upon asking, the boy sat up a little bit and said

"Mickey."

I then noticed the front of his shirt, covered in Mickey stickers and a faint outline of the classic mouse printed and hidden on his shirt. I smiled gently,

"Well, Mickey is going to be here soon. Be sure to wave to him extra big!" The boy seemed unmoved, so I said goodbye to the family and walked to my parade position. The whole time, I made sure I had an eye on the little boy, who didn't even look up a single time for any of the passing floats.

He was disinterested in Peter Pan and Wendy, in Chip and Dale or Goofy, he just sat with his little head in his hands, staring straight forward.

About another minute later, Mickey's float turned the corner. You would have thought it was Christmas morning. It was as if Mickey knew this boy was waiting for him. He looked right at the little guy and waved. All of a sudden this boy sat straight up, smiling, waving.

He had only wanted to see Mickey his entire trip, and he finally had.

This is the kind of thing I see every single day. Cast members going absolutely above and beyond to make the day of at least one family, one child. It's incredibly humbling to know that there are truly good people in this world. People who groan and sigh while getting ready for work, but leave everything back stage to bring a smile to those who need it.

Magic is real in Walt Disney World, and I can't wait to share more Magical Memories with you!

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment